Arvinas is a pharmaceutical company focused on developing new small molecule PROTAC® targeted protein degraders aimed at degrading disease-causing cellular proteins via proteolysis. Based on innovative research conducted at Yale University by Dr. Craig Crews, Founder and Chief Scientific Advisor, the company is translating natural protein degradation approaches into novel drugs for the treatment of cancer and other diseases. The proprietary PROTAC-based drug paradigm induces protein degradation, rather than protein inhibition, using the ubiquitin proteasome system and offers the advantage of potentially targeting “undruggable” as well as “druggable” elements of the proteome. This greatly expands the ability to create drugs for many new, previously unapproachable targets.
Arvinas is at exciting stage in its growth as a company. The company has initiated its first Phase 1 study for ARV-110 for patients with prostate cancer and expects its next drug candidate, ARV-471 for patients with breast cancer, to enter the clinic during 2019. Also in 2019, Arvinas expects to present new data on its neurodegeneration program (tau). Arvinas is growing rapidly, having roughly doubled in size in 2018 while also completing its initial public offering (IPO; NASDAQ:ARVN). For more information, visit www.arvinas.com.
Arvinas is seeking a Senior Intellectual Property Counsel with experience in the biotechnology and life science industry to serve as a key member of our legal team. You will report to the VP of Businss Development and Legal and advise on intellectual property legal practice including IP strategy, patent prosecution, FTO, trade secret protection, trademark filing, diligence, as well as transactional matters. You will partner with business groups across the company, including research, clinical, and business development functions and have broad involvement in work central to Arvinas’ strategic goals. You will apply your existing technical skills, learn new skills, and play a key role in helping grow the company and guide its direction.
As Senior Intellectual Property Counsel at Arvinas, you will represent and address IP issues with Arvinas’ leadership. You will have the opportunity to develop a broad intellectual property strategy and guide the business. You should be intellectually curious and ready to enthusiastically take on novel intellectual property and industry issues. You will be expected to analyze information and have the ability to effectively advise senior management and team members. This role has the opportunity to be part of setting the vision and patent strategy for the company that will drive development, use and commercialization of products in the field of targeted protein degradation.
- Define, design and implement Arvinas’ IP strategy with respect to internal R&D pipeline, partners, competitors, and suppliers
- Develop and manage a multilayered strategic patent portfolio, including drafting and prosecuting patent applications worldwide, to create an intellectual property portfolio aligned with the strategy of Arvinas.
- Collaborate across departments to provide practical intellectual property advice in alignment with business strategies and objectives.
- Analyze and advise business on navigating identified IP risks.
- Stay abreast of a rapidly evolving technology, IP, and market landscape with respect to internal technical developments, competitive position, and FTO.
- Manage all aspects of global patent portfolio procurement, including pre- and post-grant proceedings, reissues, reexaminations and opposition practices, and adverse proceedings as they may arise.
- Independently provide global strategic direction to US outside counsel and foreign agents on patent filing and prosecution matters.
- Support intellectual property litigation (offense and defense), partnering with outside counsel, other in-house counsel and clients to efficiently achieve successful outcomes.
- Educate clients on important intellectual property issues and forge strong client relationships that leverage opportunities to identify, create and protect valuable intellectual property.
- Identify patentable inventions through frequent interactions with internal and external R&D project teams, facilitate the creation of appropriate patent protection strategies and execute on those strategies with guidance as needed.
- Collaborate and provide IP support for agreements (including MTAs, CDAs, research collaborations, and licensing agreements).
- Supervise Arvinas’ current patent attorney.
Education & Qualifications
- JD with 10+ years of experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications, developing strategic patent portfolios, conducting patentability and freedom to operate analyses in biotechnology and/or pharmaceuticals either in-house, private practice, or both.
- Experience in active small molecule patent prosecution preferred.
- Ph.D. in chemistry, biomedical engineering or microbiology, or another discipline relevant to biopharmaceutical drug research and development is highly desired.
- Admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Experience counseling clients in biopharmaceutical research and development programs.
- Highly collaborative with strong professionalism and interpersonal skills.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience with transactional work and licensing a plus.
- Public company experience preferred.
- Ability to develop pragmatic, business-centric approaches for managing intellectual property risks.
- Exceptional critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to identify, analyze and render legal advice on complex intellectual property issues.
- A global business enterprise view, with recognition of the potential commercial implications of an intellectual property issue within a region or country.
- Clear potential to establish professional credibility with clients by delivering clear, concise and accurate advice, including the appropriate level of detail and anticipation of follow-up questions.
- Ability to balance legal and business considerations, prioritize activities, and execute efficiently
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, problem solve, and operate in a fast-paced environment
- Influence business leaders as a trusted advisor and thought partner.
- Excellent professionalism and interpersonal skills with sound judgment and commitment to ethical conduct.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including proven ability to interact and communicate effectively with individuals from multiple departments at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to interface with outside counsel, vendors, collaborators, internal functions and all levels of management.
Please send CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit www.arvinas.com
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity employer